Sunday, January 3, 2021

JANUARY 3, 2021---Fourty years later

It's my firstborn's birthday today.  Shes 40!! who knew time could fly so quickly especially when it always seems so slow.  I must confess that her childhood photos are all in boxes someplace. And my 'computer' and instant photos are scattered between laptop, phone and ipad.  My memories are many too. so there are some sewing memories over the years!

 While waiting for her I did knit her a sweater, hat and blanket...back then we did not know ahead so it was mint green.  She has the hat and sweater, she brought her son home in it 20 years ago.  I still have the blanket..have used it for all 6 of the grand babies when with me. Time moved forward, I did little sewing of clothing...but hand embroidery namely cross stitch was my go to for years.

First thing I remember sewing for her was a simple little size 2 Easter dress.  I believe I have it somewhere.  I also had a 'matching' mommy dress as I was expecting her brother at the time.  After that her grandmothers both sewed for her.  But I did make her First Communion Dress, and later some Prom dresses.  During the 80s it was easy to buy and find things, plus with three others my time seemed limited.  That changed though when I fell in love with heirloom sewing and smocking.   By then she was too old for smocking and we were well into the 90s...

Sew there is little to show for her. But she has herself quite a talent for crochet, sewing and embroidery by hand.  So something to be said for talents being passed on.   

One of my most precious memories now is that she wore my wedding gown [altered by me!] on her wedding day.  A challenge for me but my heirloom sewing lessons/expierence helped tremendously. 

The magazine photo of my original Priscilla Gown [1979] and my daughter and her sister on her day. 34 years later!!  [my wedding picture is somewhere, can't find it right now].  I'm asked if she kept the gown...no I have it so maybe if it happens..a grand daughter will want to be 'vintage'. 

So, this is just me celebrating dear Michelle on her birthday of 40 years.  Because of Covid, the big celebration wasn't possible as we might have done. There will be others to come.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

Love you bunches...Mom



No comments: